24/10/2021 [Book of Acts 7] www.lifechurchmissions.com
When Pentecost came, the Holy Spirit came upon the Disciples. <Ac 1:15-26; Ex 34:22; Eze 36:27; Jer 31:33>
* Ignoring the Holy Spirit is to ignore God.
* As a body without breath is a corpse, so the church without the Spirit is dead. (Rev John Stott).
** Important understanding of the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost
1) The last act of Lord Jesus’ salvation plan
2) Provide the apostles with important equipping to become the first batch of witnesses
3) New era of Holy Spirit’s work on the people of God
4) The birth of the church, and the first “revival”
Read <Ac 2:1-5>
1. What is Pentecost?
1) Agricultural meaning in the Old Testament
* Israel's three great agricultural festivals
① Passover (beginning of harvest).
② Feast of weeks, Pentecost (completion of harvest).
③ Feast of Tabernacles (storing of grains).
Read <Ex 34:22>
2) After Exodus, God gave Israelites His laws and commandments on Mount Sinai
Read <Eze 36:27; Jer 31:33>
2. When and where did the Holy Spirit descend on the disciples?
1) When disciples gathered.
3) In the house where they were at.
3. Three phenomena of the descent of the Holy Spirit.
* <v2>: sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven.
* <v3>: what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them.
* <v4>: began to speak in other tongues.
*** The nature and source of these three experiences are supernatural.
1) Wind = Power
2) Fire = Purification
3) Other tongues = God’s salvation is for all nations