27/3/2022 [Book of Acts 20] www.lifechurchmissions.com
God Cleansed His Church
* Ananias’ and Sapphira’s sin of lying to the Holy Spirit
* This sin happened in the church
* Why is such punishment not common in the church today?
1) God will punish, but necessarily punishing in such way immediately
2) The purity of the early church will determine the direction of the church
Read <Ac 5:1-11>
1. <v1-2>: The problem of Ananias and Sapphira
* Ananias and Sapphira donated possibly out of vanity
* Kept back (Nosphizomai = embezzle)
<Titus 2:10>: “steal”
<Joshua 7:21>: Achan’s sin
* Possibly already planned and agreed to offer all the money received from the land
2. <v3>: Satan filled man’s heart, leading man to lie to the Holy Spirit
3. <v4>: Although there is Satan’s insinuation, but man’s sin ultimately came from himself.
4. <v5-6>: Peter did not sentence Ananias to death, he only confronted his sin
* God has the authority to show judgment or mercy
* God has the authority to execute judgment immediately or over a period of time.
* Mainly to rid the church of evil and defilements
* Ponder about matters concerning church discipline
5. <v7-9>: Two persons sinned together, they received the same punishment
* Sapphira is a knowing and willing participant
* They were in one heart in testing the Spirit of the Lord
* Wife cannot sin because she wants to submit to her husband, neither can a husband compromise because of his love for his wife
6. <v10>: Different ways God exercise judgment Old and New Testament
* Common question: Are Ananias and Sapphira believers who are saved?
* <1 Co 11:29-30>: For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.
* <Ps 103:8-9>: The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbour his anger forever;
7. <v11>: The first time the word “church”(Ekklesia) appeared in Acts