10/4/2022 [Book of Acts 21] www.lifechurchmissions.com
The Apostles Performed Many Signs and Wonders among the People
* Christ empowered the apostles through signs and wonders.
* Continuationism vs Cessationism.
* Are there signs and wonders today? If so, what are they?
Read <Ac 5:12-16>
1. <Ac 5:12(i)>: The Lord used the apostles to perform signs and wonders, it was not from the apostles’ own powers.
* The Lord used the signs and wonders to empower the apostles, so that they became the spokespersons of His Word.
2. <Ac 5:12(ii)>: The apostles met together at Solomon’s Colonnade, publicly professing and testifying their faith.
* Believers must discern when to publicly or secretly preach the Word.
* The power of unity is greater than the power of signs and wonders.
3. <Ac 5:13-14> Two contrasting outcomes:
1) Those who opposed the disciples or those who were unrepentant dared not go near them.
2) Many turned to the Lord because of the strong work of the Holy Spirit.
* Such strong work of the Holy Spirit happened after the “cleansing of the church”.
4. <Ac 5:15> The people were so convinced by the power manifested by the apostles.
* That the shadow of Peter might overshadow some of them (overshadow = Episkiazo).
<Lk 1:35>: And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow (Episkiazo) you …
<Lk 9:34> As he was saying these things, a cloud came and overshadowed (Episkiazo) them, and they were afraid as they entered the cloud.
* Only the power and compassion in the gospel can overshadow us.
* We ought to anticipate the power of the gospel, and the Holy Spirit will greatly work.
5. <Ac 5:16> In Christ, we can find liberation even in the problems that make us most helpless.
1) Health problems.
2) Demonic disturbance problems.
* In the end, Jerusalem was gospelized <Ac 1:8>.